National Register of Historic Places Print

The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources. Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Various buildings, sites, etc. in Carroll County have received National Register status, and numerous others are eligible.  Following is a list of National Register sites in Carroll County.  More information can be found at the National Register website.

BUILDINGS

Adams Mill (1984 - Building - #8400)
1845 gristmill built by John Adams on Wildcat Creek, known as Wildcat Mill
Off CR 50 E, Cutler
Post and beam construction

Barnett-Seawright-Wilson House (1980 - Building - #80000054)
Also known as Fowler House
203 E. Monroe St., Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Barnett, William
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Italianate

Baum-Shaeffer Farm (1998 - Building - #98001102)
Rural Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Baum, David
Architectural Style: Italianate

Burris House and Potawatomi Spring (1977 - Building - #77000018)
Also known as Barnes Inn. 1840s Inn near watering place for Indians and early settlers
Towpath Rd., Lockport

Camden Masonic Temple
(2003 - Building - #03001313)
Also known as Mount Zion Lodge #211
213 W. Main St., Camden
Architect, builder, or engineer: Krutch, C.S. and Co.
Architectural Style: Romanesque

Carroll County Courthouse
(2003 - Building - #03001317)
101 W. Main St., Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Dunlap, Elmer E., et al.
Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Delphi City Hall (1998 - Building - #98001525)
Also known as Assion-Ruffing Building; Opera House; 015-162-401497
105-109 Washington St., Delphi
Architectural Style: Italianate

District School No. 3 (1988 - Building - #88000374)
Also known as Rock Creek Township School No. 3, Election School, Martin School, Mullin School
NE corner of CR 750 N and CR 100 W, Rockfield
Architectural Style: Italianate

Foreman-Case House
(1990 - Building - #90000811)
Also known as Foreman--Case--Schermerhorn House
312 E. Main St., Delphi
Architectural Style: Greek Revival

Niewerth Building (1984 - Building - #84001001)
Also known as Hamling's Tavern
124 E. Main St., Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Freshour, Samuel, Shockley, J. R.
Architectural Style: Italianate

Raber, Fred and Minnie, Farm (1992 - District - #92001169)
Also known as Raber-Hasselbring-Shaffer Farm; Raber-Robbins Farm
IN 218 E of CR 425 W, Camden
Architect, builder, or engineer: Holsinger, George
Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals

Thomas, Andrew, House
(1984 - Building - #84000485)
Also known as Camden-Jackson Township Public Library
W. Main St., Camden
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Italianate

DISTRICTS

Deer Creek Valley Rural Historic District (2002 - District - #02001557)
SE corner of Sec. 21, most of Sec. 22 and Areas N of Deer Creek, Delphi
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Gothic Revival

Delphi Courthouse Square Historic District (2010 - District - #10000120) Includes the blocks immediately surrounding the public square and extends east to include the City Building and Delphi Public Library. Forty-three buildings are included within the boundaries, many dating from the 1850s-1870s. Within the district are three buildings previously listed individually on the National Register.


SITES

Delphi Lime Kilns (2002 - Site - #02000693)
NNW of Delphi

Lock No. 33 Lock Keeper's House, and Wabash and Erie Canal Lock No. 33 (2002 - Site - #02000684)
Also known as VanScoy 2/12C292  Near two mid-1800s paper mills and Deer Creek Dam which provided a lake for Canal boats to turn around
Delphi

Sunset Point (2002 - Site - #02000
Also known as VanScoy 4/12C294  Irish canal-workers’ construction camp of 1838-39 on the towpath trail along the Wabash and Erie Canal. At Sunset Point where the Deer Creek meets the Wabash.at Delphi.

STRUCTURES

Adams Mill Covered Bridge (1996 - Structure - #95001537)
Also known as Carroll County Bridge #39; 015-553-00955 Restored covered bridge
CR 50 E over Wildcat Creek, Cutler
Architect, builder, or engineer: Smith, Robert W., Wheelock Bridge Company

Carrollton Bridge (2003 - Structure - #03000539)
Also known as Carroll County Bridge #132; 615-foot, 6-span concrete arch structure
Carrollton Rd. across Wabash River, 6 miles north of Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Luten, Daniel B., National Concrete Co.

Wabash and Erie Canal Culvert
#100 (2002 - Structure - #02000194)
Also known as Burnett's Creek Arch—the oldest continually used bridge in Indiana, made of cut stone.
Towpath Rd. over Burnett's Creek, Lockport

Wilson Bridge (2001 - Structure - #01000623)
Also known as Old Royster Road   1897 iron Pratt through-truss structure
0.6 mi. W of CR 450W on CR 300N over Deer Creek, Delphi
Architect, builder, or engineer: Lafayette Bridge Co., Smith, Craven